|To:||All Interested Agencies, Organizations and Persons|
|From:||The County of Los Angeles|
|Subject:||Notice of Preparation of a Draft Environmental Impact Report and Public Scoping Meeting|
|Project Title:||The Ford Theatres Project|
|Project Proponent:||The Ford Theatre Foundation|
|Project Address:||2580 Cahuenga Boulevard East, Los Angeles, California 90068|
|Date of Notice:||February 7, 2014|
The County of Los Angeles (County) will be the Lead Agency and will require the preparation of an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the Ford Theatres Project (Project) proposed by the Ford Theatre Foundation. The County requests agencies’ timely comments as to the scope and content of the EIR related to the agencies’ responsibilities. For all interested agencies, organizations and persons, this scoping notice allows you an early opportunity to consult on the Project before preparation of the Draft EIR. Following preparation of the Draft EIR, there will be a later separate notice of the future opportunity to comment on the analyses of the Project in the Draft EIR.
The Project description, the potential environmental effects anticipated to be studied in the EIR, and the environmental factors not potentially affected that would not be addressed in the EIR are set forth in the Initial Study and summarized here. Also included below are the date, time, and location of the Scoping Meeting that will be held in order to solicit input regarding the content of the Draft EIR. The Scoping Meeting will be in an open house format. No decisions about the Project will be made at the scoping meeting.
PROJECT BACKGROUND AND SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: The approximately 32‑acre Project Site includes the Ford Theatres, one of the oldest performing arts venues in Los Angeles. The Ford Theatres are owned by the County of Los Angeles and operated through a three-way partnership between the County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation, the County of Los Angeles Arts Commission, and the Ford Theatre Foundation. The Project Site is developed with an open-air 1,196-seat Amphitheatre with support spaces as well as a former 10,500-square-foot motel building currently used as staff offices. The Ford Theatres property was evaluated as a potential historic resource in 1994 and determined eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places.
Implementation of the proposed improvements would result in approximately 47,550 net square feet of new facilities and approximately 48,750 net new square feet of outdoor plaza areas within the Project Site, for a total of 96,300 square feet. With the addition of a 299-seat theatre and a 99-seat Flex Space, the number of annual events provided at the Project Site is also estimated to increase.
The Project includes rehabilitation and improvements to the existing Amphitheatre and development of the Ford Terrace, the Ford Plaza, the Transit Center and a hiking trail, all within the current boundaries of the Ford Theatres site. The proposed improvements would be designed to be consistent with the Secretary of the Interior Standards for historic property rehabilitation. Each of the proposed Project components is summarized here and set out in the Initial Study:
- Amphitheatre Rehabilitation and Improvements—Improvements to the Amphitheatre would include hillside stabilization, stage reconstruction, disabled access and code compliance improvements, improved theatrical systems, infrastructure improvements and related upgrades, a sound wall along the rear of the Amphitheatre to shield the Amphitheatre from traffic noise, and a retractable shade structure for the Amphitheatre.
- The Ford Terrace—The Ford Terrace would include a two-story structure with one level of office space and a lower-level concessions area and a raised plaza deck above a service level along with removal of the existing concessions building and the re- purposing of the 87-seat [Inside] the Ford space as a self-serve food marketplace area and for storage.
- The Ford Plaza—The Ford Plaza, set atop a three-level parking structure, would feature a restaurant, a 299-seat theatre, a box office, a conference room, offices, visitor amenities and conversion of the existing box office to a museum/gallery for the Ford Theatres.
- The Transit Center—The Transit Center would include a designated area for bus and valet drop-off, a three-level parking structure, a 99‑seat rehearsal and event space and removal of the former motel building.
- Hiking Trail—An approximate 0.75-mile ridgeline trail with trail terminations at the north and south parking structures within the Transit Center and the Ford Plaza, respectively, would be constructed.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS POTENTIALLY AFFECTED: Aesthetics, Air Quality, Biological Resources, Cultural Resources, Geology and Soils, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, Hydrology and Water Quality, Land Use and Planning, Noise, Public Services (fire and police protection), Transportation/Traffic, Utilities and Service Systems (water, electricity, and natural gas), and Mandatory Findings of Significance. These potential impacts will be addressed in the Draft EIR.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS NOT POTENTIALLY AFFECTED: Based on the Initial Study, the following factors do not need to be addressed in the Draft EIR: Agriculture and Forest Resources, Hazards and Hazardous Materials, Mineral Resources, Population and Housing, Public Services (schools, parks, library services), Recreation, and Utilities and Service Systems (wastewater and solid waste).
PUBLIC SCOPING MEETING DATE AND LOCATION: A Scoping Meeting will be held on February 18, 2014, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the [Inside] the Ford Theatre within the Ford Theatres. The purpose of the Scoping Meeting is to solicit agency and other early comments regarding issues to be addressed in the Draft EIR. The Scoping Meeting will provide information regarding the Project and the anticipated scope of analyses to be contained in the Draft EIR. Written comments may be submitted at the Scoping Meeting or at any time before the end of scoping on March 11, 2014. Attendance at the Scoping Meeting is not required, and written comments on the scope of the Draft EIR by US mail or email are welcome at the County of Los Angeles, Department of Parks and Recreation address provided below.
Date: February 18, 2014
Time: 7:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m.
[Inside] the Ford Theatre
2580 Cahuenga Boulevard East
Los Angeles, CA 90068
Parking to be provided near the Box Office
Written comments must be submitted to the County of Los Angeles by March 11, 2014, to be timely scoping comments for consideration in the preparation of the Draft EIR.
Please direct your comments by e-mail or U.S. mail to:
County of Los Angeles, Department of Parks and Recreation
Planning Division, Environmental and Regulatory Permitting
510 South Vermont Avenue, Room 201
Los Angeles, CA 90020
Fax: (213) 639-3959