UPDATE FROM LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION ON CLOSURES AND CHANGES IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19
For the most recent updates, please visit https://parks.lacounty.gov/covid-19.
As the County of Los Angeles works to stop the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation (LA County Parks) continues to do its part to implement precautionary measures in response to COVID-19. We believe that the health and safety of our program participants, park guests, team members, and community are the top priority.
We recently had an influx of park guests and hikers at multi-use trails and natural areas, understandably so, to enjoy much-needed recreation during this challenging time. However, the large number of visitors made it difficult, and in some areas impossible, to maintain social distancing that is critical for preventing the spread of COVID-19.
Out of an abundance of caution and in accordance with guidance from State and local health officials to prevent the spread of COVID-19, LA County Parks is temporarily closing the County multi-use trail system.
At this time, you can still enjoy time outdoors at your local park for passive use, such as walking, jogging, or leisure time outdoors for individuals or families. Social distancing is still required, and group gatherings are prohibited by the health order.
Here is a list of changes implemented at LA County Parks effective through April 19, 2020:
- All multi-use trails closed until further notice. For a complete list, please see https://trails.lacounty.gov/TrailsList.
- All play and sports amenities closed until further notice. This includes but is not limited to playgrounds, fitness equipment areas, basketball courts, skate parks, baseball/soccer/multi-use fields, tennis courts/pickleball, volleyball, and lawn bowling.
- LA County golf courses are closed until further notice.
- Parks locations remain open as outdoor-only facilities. Park staff hours 9:30 AM – 6:00 PM.
- Limited restroom availability from 7:00 AM – 5:30 PM
- No group congregations at outdoor-only facilities. Social distancing is required.
- Botanic gardens (except Descanso Gardens), natural areas, regional parks and lakes remain open as outdoor-only facilities during regular hours.
- Park buildings & indoor facilities are closed to the public including indoor gymnasiums, computer labs, multi-purpose rooms, classrooms, aquatics centers/pools, indoor golf facilities & nature centers.
- Free snack programs will continue at locations where it is currently offered with social distancing implemented during distribution.
- Senior Centers are closed. The senior lunch program and activities have been suspended.
- For the Senior Lunch Program, the Los Angeles County Department of Workforce Development, Aging and Community Services (WDACS) is distributing packaged and frozen meals. For locations and information, please call 1-800-510-2020 and visit https://wdacs.lacounty.gov/covid-19.
- All programming is temporarily suspended, including recreational activities, indoor/outdoor sports leagues, aquatics classes, instructional courses, and group sessions.
- All events and rentals are canceled. New reservations are suspended.
We appreciate your support and understanding as we adapt to this fluid situation. We know that you rely on our programs as consistent and crucial resources. We hope these extraordinary efforts will help with the County and global effort to stop the spread of COVID-19.
We are working closely with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) to ensure that our Parks community receives credible information and guidance during this challenging time. We encourage you to visit the Public Health website for information and guidance, available in multiple languages, on COVID-19: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact (626) 588-5364 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMMUNITY UPDATE FLYERS