FAQ icon
Where are your Nature Centers located?

The department has several Nature Centers.

Find a Nature Center

Do you have any dog parks?

We are proud to announce that we are close to the completion of the first Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation dog park at Crescenta Valley Community Regional Park which is located at 3901 Dunsmore Avenue in La Crescenta, CA 91214.  Please contact the park at (818) 249-5940 for more information on the opening date of the park.

Park Info

Where can I play disc (Frisbee) golf?

There are disc golf courses located at Veterans Memorial Community Regional Park in Sylmar and at La Mirada Community Regional Park in La Mirada.

Find a Course

The tree in the parkway in front of my house needs trimming. Who should I call?

If you reside in the unincorporated area of Los Angeles County, please contact the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Works at (626)458-5100 or click on the button below. If you are within an incorporated city, please call your city business office to see which department takes care of roadside trees.


Can I fly drones at the park?

The Department’s policy on drones is the same as the County’s policy on traditional powered model vehicles – e.g. model airplanes and helicopters – referenced in County Code sections 17.04.630, 17.12.425, and 12.08.290. There are, however, two designated locations to fly drones located at Santa Fe Dam State Recreation Area and Whittier Narrows Community Regional Park. Please call the parks for more information:

Santa Fe Dam: 626.334.1065

Whittier Narrows: 626.575.5526

Can I use fireworks at your parks?

Organized firework shows are sometimes scheduled in County parks. No other fireworks are permitted.

How do I get a tee time at a County Golf Course? Do I need a golf registration card?

Simply contact the starter at any of the County’s 19 golf courses to reserve a tee time. You may contact the starter by telephone or in person to reserve your time up to one week on advance of the desired time.

Find a Course

Do you offer swimming lessons?

Yes, swimming lessons are offered at our County pools.  Swimming lessons cost $20.00 for a two week period.  Please contact your nearest park directly to inquire about swim lesson sign up dates.  Scholarships are also available.

Lesson Information

Pool Safety Tips

Swim Scholarship Application

I would like to hold my wedding in one of your parks. How can I find out more information?

The department has many beautiful parks which would be great venues for your wedding. These include the Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Gardens in Arcadia, Descanso Gardens in La Canada Flintridge and South Coast Botanic Garden on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Please contact the park directly for additional information or stop by. Please note, these parks do have an entrance fee. Some people have also had lovely weddings in our community Buildings at local parks. Also, many of our golf courses have beautiful banquet rooms which are frequently used for weddings and receptions.

Find a Park Listed

How do I apply for a job in the County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation?

If you would like to apply for a job please the button below.

Click Here

How can I reserve a park or picnic area for a family reunion or other special event?

In many parks, you may reserve a group picnic area or other area of the facility for your special event. Please locate the park of your choice in this website and call the reservation office for more information.

Find a Park

Am I able to bring a bouncer or other play equipment for my child’s birthday party being held at one of your parks?

Bouncers are not permitted in all parks. When making your reservation please ask if bouncers are permitted. You will also be advised as to what else is required such as liability insurance.

Do you allow camping at your parks?

Yes, camping is allowed at some of our parks.

Where to Camp

How many swimming pools does your department operate?

The department operates 28 swimming pools.  They are open seasonally from June to Labor Day. Jesse Owens Community Regional Park and Franklin D. Roosevelt Park have pools open year-round.

Find a Swimming Pool

Where can I view beautiful wildflowers?

The department has several wildlife and wildflower sanctuaries located in the Antelope Valley.

Find a Sanctuary

Do you have a park where I can launch model rockets?

Model rockets are not permitted to be launched in County parks.

How many parks does the County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation operate?

The County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation proudly owns 177 parks including 4 Arboreta and Botanic Gardens; 92 local parks, 22 Community Regional parks, 16 Regional parks, 14 Wildlife Sanctuaries, 8 Nature Centers, 19 Golf Courses and the beautiful John Anson Ford Amphitheatre and Hollywood Bowl.

Can I bring my dog to County parks?

Yes, dogs are permitted in County parks and on trails as long as the dog is on a leash, no longer than 6 feet in length and under the full control of the owner.  Additionally, there is a Dog Park at Crescenta Valley Community Regional Park.

Dogs are not permitted in our Arboretum and Botanic Gardens, Golf Courses, John Anson Ford Amphitheatre and Hollywood Bowl.

Find a Dog Park

I love to fish. Can I fish at any Los Angeles County lake?

Yes, the department has several lakes where fishing is permitted: Castaic Lake in Castaic; Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park in San Dimas; Legg Lake in the Whittier Narrows Recreation Area; Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area in Irwindale; Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area in Baldwin Hills; Apollo Park in Lancaster; Alondra Park in Lawndale; Earvin “Magic” Johnson Park in Willowbrook; Cerritos Park in Cerritos; La Mirada Park in La Mirada; Peck Road Water Conservation Park in Arcadia and Belvedere Park in East Los Angeles.  For fishing license and equipment information, please contact the park directly.

Where to Fish

I would like to have a large company event at one of your parks. Can I use a loud speaker?

Amplified sound is not permitted at any County park. Please ask reservation staff for amplified sound requirements at your park of choice.

Where do I find out more information about your organized recreational sports leagues including baseball and soccer?

Please contact your local park to find out more information about sports leagues including fees, schedules and dates when sign-ups begin. If you reside in an incorporated city, it is likely that your city operates its own parks and recreation department. You May wish to check your city parks department as well.

Find a Park

Which facilities allow personal watercraft such as jet skis?

The department has two lakes which allow personal watercraft, such as jet skis, on the lake; Castaic Lake State Recreation Area in Castaic and Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park in San Dimas.  Please check with the park directly for more information on special requirements on the lake, dates and times jet skis are permitted, safety requirements and regulations, etc.

Find a Lake

Can I swim in your County lakes?

Swimming is permitted at our swim beaches at Castaic Lake State Recreation Area, Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park  and Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area.  Each swim beach has specific opening and closing times.  Please contact your favorite lake for more information.

Find Where to Swim

I lost my SCUBA card, how can I replace it?

Please contact our Underwater Unit at (661) 257-4050 for assistance in replacing your SCUBA card.  Or click on the button below to visit our website.

Click Here

question mark icon
Skip to content