COVID UPDATE – JANUARY 2022
Due to the recent surge in Omicron variant cases, OUR SPOT is temporarily returning to virtual programming for the month of January. Some sites will offer weekly grab-n-go packets for participants. Our Spot will run from 2:30 to 6:30 pm through either Zoom, Discord or Instagram Live (check in with your program site for specifics).
Join Our SPOT to connect with teens and recreation leaders.
Our SPOT is a FREE after-school program for teens ages 12-18, providing a fun, safe and supportive place where teens can check-in daily, Monday through Friday all year long. Programming takes on a strength-based approach engaging youth from our communities to explore their unique and collective lived experiences through various forms of recreation programming, visual arts sessions, social action activities, and educational field trips. Focus is placed on aiding teens in setting meaningful goals to accomplish individually and collaboratively through peer-to-peer leadership, art, special gatherings, and park engagement.
- Podcasting Workshops
- Visual Arts Workshops
- Poetry and Creative Writing Workshops
- Yoga Classes
- Intramural Sports Leagues
- Music Production & Song Writing Workshops
- Mindfulness and Meditation Exercises
- Film, TV and Broadcasting Workshops
- Contemporary Dance and Hip Hop Workshops
- Self-Defense Classes
- Traditional African Drum Workshops
- A Fun Place to Just Chill
- Amelia Mayberry Park: 13201 East Meyer Road, Whittier, CA 90605, (562) 944-9727
- Belvedere Community Regional Park: 4914 East Cesar Chavez Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90022, (323) 260-2342
- City Terrace Park: 1126 North Hazard Avenue, East Los Angeles, CA 90063, (323) 260-2371
- El Cariso Community Regional Park: 13100 Hubbard St., Sylmar, CA 91342, (818) 367-5043
- East Rancho Dominguez Park: 15116 South Atlantic Avenue, Compton, CA 90221, (310) 603-3724
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Park: 7600 Graham Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90001, (323) 586-7228
- Lennox Park: 10828 South Condon Avenue, Lennox, CA 90304, (310) 419-6712
- Loma Alta Park: 3330 N. Lincoln Ave., Altadena 91001, (626) 398-5451
- Mona Park: 2291 E. 121st St., Compton 90222, (310) 603-3729
- Pamela Park: 2236 Goodall Avenue, Duarte, CA 91010, (626) 357-1619
- Ruben F. Salazar Park: 3864 Whittier Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90023, (323) 260-2330
- San Angelo Park: 245 South San Angelo Avenue, La Puente, CA 91746, (626) 968-2666
- Stephen Sorensen Park: 16801 E. Ave. P, Palmdale, 93591, (661) 264-1249
Forms for Our SPOT:
More about Our SPOT:
Our SPOT has been a safe haven for teens afterschool – providing a place to make friends, participate in fun activities and learn self-esteem. While Los Angeles County shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020, so did many of the afterschool and youth serving organizations in Los Angeles County. However, Our SPOT stayed connected with teens through virtual programming available live on mobile devices and smartphones. During a challenging year, Our SPOT staff kept the energy high and engagement ever higher through this positive and transformative program aiming to serve youth.
Brought to you by the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
*Hours are subject to change due to holidays and program breaks.
The Importance of Our SPOT
LA County Parks and Recreation teen out-of-school-time programs are deeply valued by youth and their families. Our SPOT youth report feeling safer in their parks, connected to caring staff, happier and less stressed overall. These programs are vital to building positive youth development and helping youth reach their full potential. Situated throughout LA County parks, Our SPOTs are safe havens for teens to connect on societal issues they care about, take on social action projects, explore interests, take special interest classes, and socialize. Youth also attend events like the Girls Empowerment Conference and Teen Summit.