The Department of Parks and Recreation is committed to expanding its diverse workforce and developing lifeguards within the communities we serve. The Lifeguard Ready Training (LRT) program is aimed at providing an inclusive education and training program to youth ages 16- 24 focused on the fundamental skills necessary to become a Los Angeles County Swimming Pool Lifeguard. The program is intended to train interested students/participants to an acceptable level to participate in the County Pool Lifeguard Training Academy as a Pool Lifeguard candidate.
- The program will run at the Belvedere Aquatic Center in East Los Angeles and the Jesse Owens Park and Roosevelt Park Pools in South Los Angeles.
- Diverse youth and youth of promise, including youth who are systems involved, are encouraged to apply.
- Trainees must commit to attending all 12 trainings per session.
- In total, up to 360 participants will have an opportunity to participate in the program which includes 24 hours of hands-on training over three six-week sessions.
- The first training session starts September 27 offering slots to 40 participants at each of the three sites. A second cohort will start November 8th and a third cohort starts January 3.
- The LRT program will provide participants with all the equipment necessary to complete the program including swimsuits, towels, duffel bags, etc., with an estimated value of $600.
- Trainees will be paired up with a group mentor who will also provide individual evaluations and support. Participants can also access lap swim hours at any of the County’s five year-round facilities and instructors will be available for assistance both before and after scheduled training days.
- Those who do not successfully complete the training at the initial phase of the program can automatically enroll onto the next LRT session or can choose to explore additional recreation career opportunities within the County.
- Youth who pass the LRT program and meet the 500-yard swim requirement will qualify to become a pool lifeguard cadet.
The basic requirements to enroll in the program are that participants are 16 years at the time of registration and are motivated to learn the necessary skills to become a lifeguard.
Purpose of Training
The training is intended to build water competency so candidates develop the ability to meet the swim test time standards. That is a prerequisite to participating in the lifeguard training program.
Sessions, Training Dates and Times
Session and training days, dates and times are Monday and Wednesday at Jesse Owens, Belvedere, San Fernando, George Lane and Castaic and Tuesday and Thursday at Roosevelt Park Pool from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Session 1: 9/27 – 11/05
Session 2: 11/8 – 12/17
Session 3: 1/24 (M/W), 1/25 (T,TH) – 2/16 (M/W), 2/17 (T,TH)
Session 4: 3/7 – 4/14
Session 5: 4/18 – 5/24
How to Register
- Create an account for online registration through the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation ActiveNet portal.
- Select the facility they would like to attend Lifeguard Ready Training (LRT):
- Jesse Owens Community Pool- 9835 S. Western Ave Los Angeles, Ca 90047
- Roosevelt Park Community Pool- 7600 Graham Ave Los Angeles, Ca 90001
- Belvedere Aquatic Center- 5035 E. 1st St. Los Angeles, Ca 90022
- Castaic Aquatic Center – 31350 Castaic Rd, Castaic, CA 91384
- San Fernando Regional Pool – 300 Park Ave. San Fernando, CA 91340
- George Lane Pool – 5520 W. Ave. L-8 Lancaster, CA 93536
- Youth will be asked to complete a program questioner prior to admission.
- After completing the online portion of the registration an LRT Mentor will contact youth to complete the registration process.
- Participants will be notified one week prior to program start date.
- For additional assistance on how to setup an account and register in ActiveNet, visit parks.lacounty.gov/reserve/
Ready to Register?: Click HERE to sign up!
Belvedere Aquatic Center
5035 E. First St. Los Angeles, CA 90022
Program Supervisor: Kristen Gonzalez
Jesse Owens Pool
9835 S. Western Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90047
Program Supervisor: Terrence Green
Franklin D Roosevelt Park Pool
7600 Graham Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90001
Program Supervisor: Gerardo Aguila
San Fernando Regional Pool
300 Park Ave. San Fernando, CA 91340
Castaic Aquatic Center
31350 Castaic Rd, Castaic, CA 91384
George Lane Pool
5520 W Ave L8, Quartz Hill, CA 93536
Attend an Information Session
Information sessions will provide an opportunity to learn more about the program and how to registrar, an opportunity to ask questions and meet the trainers from the various pool sites.
Dates and Times TBD
LRT in the News!
The Lifeguard Ready Training Program is a SMASH HIT! Browse through some of the coverage our amazing Aquatics team has gotten since the program launched!